Spicy Shrimp with Creamy Polenta is perfect for a delicious and comforting dinner, and it’s sure to impress your guests or loved ones with its unique and bold flavors.
This recipe is easy to follow, even for those with limited experience in the kitchen, and it can be adjusted based on the number of servings you need. The creamy polenta pairs perfectly with the spicy shrimp and the flavors of garlic, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper will tantalize your taste buds.
In this post, I’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide to creating this delectable dish, along with some helpful tips to ensure it turns out perfectly. So, let’s roll up our sleeves, put on our aprons, and get cooking!
How to Make Spicy Shrimp with Creamy Polenta
This Italian take on the southern favorite is perfection.
PREP TIME: 20 mins
TOTAL TIME: 40 mins
To make this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- kosher salt
- 1 c. polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/3 c. freshly grated Asiago
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes halved
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on if desired)
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring salt and 4 cups of water to a boil. Add polenta in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk for 2 minutes more, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and cheese, then season with salt.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and green onion whites and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until soft, stirring, for 4 minutes.
Add shrimp and thyme and cook until shrimp are completely pink, stirring, 4 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Add wine and chicken stock and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cream and simmer 2 minutes more.
Serve shrimp over polenta and garnish with remaining green onion greens.
- When making the polenta, make sure to whisk constantly to avoid lumps from forming.
- Use large shrimp for this recipe, as smaller shrimp can become overcooked and rubbery.
- For a creamier polenta, you can substitute half of the water with chicken or vegetable broth.
- Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper used in the recipe based on your personal spice preference.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the shrimp just before serving to add brightness and balance out the spice.
There you have it, folks! A delicious recipe for Spicy Shrimp with Creamy Polenta that’s sure to impress your taste buds. Happy cooking!