If there’s one dish that’s sure to impress both family and friends, it’s the classic chicken pot pie. But what if you could take this beloved dish to the next level? That’s where puff pastry comes in. With its light, flaky layers and buttery goodness, puff pastry is the perfect way to add a touch of elegance to your chicken pot pie.
In this blog post, we’ll explore how to make a mouth-watering puff pastry chicken pot pie that’s sure to be a hit at your next dinner party or family gathering. We’ll start with the basics, explaining what puff pastry is and how it differs from other types of pastry. Then we’ll dive into the details of making the perfect chicken pot pie filling, including the right mix of vegetables and spices to create a delicious and hearty dish.
Of course, the star of the show is the puff pastry crust, and we’ll share tips and tricks for achieving a perfect, flaky crust every time. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So grab your apron and let’s get started on creating a scrumptious puff pastry chicken pot pie that will have everyone asking for seconds!
How to Make Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Keywords: Chicken Pot Pie, Pot Pie, Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie, Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
INGREDIENTS OF PUFF PASTRY CHICKEN POT PIE
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 15-ounce bag of frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large lightly beaten egg + 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING PUFF PASTRY CHICKEN POT PIE
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Add the butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 30 seconds, continuing to whisk.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and milk to the flour mixture, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, and then let it boil for 2 minutes, whisking the whole time.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and dried thyme.
- Stir in the peas and carrots and chicken.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to an 8×8-inch casserole dish.
- If necessary, roll out the puff pastry (push together any seams) so it fits across the top of the casserole dish with about 1/2-inch extra on all 4 sides. Place the puff pastry on top and cut 4 slits on top for steam to escape.
- Whisk together the egg with the water. Brush a little of this egg wash on the puff pastry.
- Bake until the pastry is golden, about 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle the parsley on top (optional) then serve.
PUFF PASTRY CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE’S NOTES
- Use only frozen vegetables for this.
- Do not forget to cut slits on the top of the puff pastry.
- Don’t skip the egg wash, this gives it its nice golden color.
NUTRITION INFORMATION ON PUFF PASTRY CHICKEN POT PIE
Calories: 777kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 22g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 133mg | Sodium: 1046mg | Potassium: 630mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10911IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 148mg | Iron: 5mg