Are you on a weight loss journey or trying to stick to a healthy diet? Look no further than the delicious and satisfying Egg Roll in a Bowl. This low-carb, high-protein dish is a popular choice for those looking to shed some pounds while still enjoying a flavorful meal.
Egg Roll in a Bowl is a deconstructed version of the classic egg roll, without the deep-fried wrapper. Instead, it features shredded cabbage, ground pork or chicken, and a variety of vegetables and seasonings, all cooked together in a single pan. The result is a dish that is both tasty and nutritious.
One of the benefits of Egg Roll in a Bowl is its simplicity. It requires only a few ingredients and can be made in less than 30 minutes, making it a great option for busy weeknights. Plus, it’s easily customizable to fit any dietary restrictions or preferences.
For those following a low-carb or keto diet, Egg Roll in a Bowl is a perfect choice. With no added sugars or grains, it’s a great way to keep your carb intake in check while still feeling satisfied. It’s also a good source of protein, which can help keep you feeling full and prevent overeating.
Health Benefits of Egg Roll In A Bowl
By making a deconstructed version of takeout egg rolls, you can easily replicate their flavors for lunch. Egg roll bowls typically contain filling and lean proteins such as ground turkey or chicken, as well as cabbage, which is a rich source of vitamin K.
Vitamin K is a fat-soluble nutrient that is essential for proper blood clotting. This makes egg roll bowls not only delicious but also a nutritious addition to your diet.
This recipe for egg roll in a bowl is a healthier take on a beloved takeout favorite. It is suitable for those following a paleo diet and looking to lose weight. With its combination of lean protein and vitamin-rich cabbage, this dish is sure to satisfy your cravings while keeping you on track with your weight loss goals.
9 Impressive Health Benefits of Cabbage
Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable that is often overlooked in our diets. However, this humble vegetable is packed with a variety of nutrients and health benefits that can help improve our overall well-being. Here are 9 impressive health benefits of cabbage.
1. Cabbage is packed with nutrients
Cabbage is a low-calorie vegetable that is rich in nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, folate, and fiber. It also contains small amounts of other essential minerals such as calcium, potassium, and magnesium.
2. It may help keep inflammation in check
Cabbage contains compounds such as anthocyanins and glucosinolates that have anti-inflammatory properties. These compounds may help reduce inflammation in the body and protect against chronic diseases such as cancer, arthritis, and heart disease.
3. Cabbage is packed with vitamin C
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps boost our immune system and protect against infections. Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin C, with just one cup providing more than 50% of our daily recommended intake.
4. It helps improve digestion
Cabbage is rich in fiber, which is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system. It can help prevent constipation, promote regular bowel movements, and improve overall gut health.
5. May help keep your heart healthy
Cabbage contains compounds that may help lower the risk of heart disease. Studies have shown that eating cabbage regularly can help lower levels of LDL cholesterol, a type of cholesterol that is associated with an increased risk of heart disease.
6. May lower blood pressure
Cabbage is also a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure. Eating potassium-rich foods like cabbage can help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
7. Could help lower cholesterol levels
Cabbage contains compounds called phytosterols that can help lower cholesterol levels in the body. This may help reduce the risk of heart disease and other chronic diseases.
8. Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin K
Vitamin K is important for maintaining healthy bones and blood clotting. Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin K, with just one cup providing more than 80% of our daily recommended intake.
9. It’s very easy to add to your diet
One of the best things about cabbage is how easy it is to add to your diet. It can be eaten raw in salads or coleslaw, cooked in soups, stews, or stir-fries, or fermented into sauerkraut or kimchi.
In short, cabbage is a nutrient-packed vegetable that offers a wide range of health benefits. From reducing inflammation and improving digestion to promoting heart health and reducing the risk of chronic diseases, adding cabbage to your diet can help improve your overall well-being. So why not try adding this versatile vegetable to your next meal?
How to Make Egg Roll In A Bowl
Prep Time: 8 mins
Cook Time: 12 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
INGREDIENTS OF EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 6 green onions sliced green and white parts divided
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground turkey or sub with preferred ground protein
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos can be sub with gluten-free Tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce we use Red Boat, can also use 1/2 teaspoon Trader Joe’s Mushroom Umami Seasoning OR Miso Paste if you don’t like or have fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage or one 14 oz tri-color coleslaw mix or Broccoli Slaw
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage leave out if using coleslaw mix
- 3/4 cup matchstick cut carrots or grated carrots leave out if using coleslaw mix
- Fine sea salt or kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Optional Chili Mayo Sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo or avocado oil mayo
- 1-2 tablespoons Steve’s Paleo Sriracha or other compliant or preferred hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar or coconut vinegar
Options for garnish and serving
- Fresh cilantro, some chopped
- Extra green onions
- Sesame seeds
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic, and ginger and cook for 1 minute until fragrant, while stirring frequently.
- Next, add the ground turkey, while breaking it up, and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Add the green shredded cabbage (or coleslaw mix) followed by the red cabbage, carrots, coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender or cooked to your liking (about 4-5 minutes), while stirring occasionally. Taste and add additional coconut aminos, salt, and black pepper as needed.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onions, and sesame seeds.
- Sautéed green and red cabbage, and shredded carrots. green onions and ground turkey in a black wok with a wooden spoon
- Transfer to bowls. Make the optional chili mayo sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, hot sauce, and vinegar. Season to taste with salt. Drizzle in a zigzag pattern over the egg roll bowl and add some sliced avocado and serve with preferred garnishes.
RECIPE NOTES OF EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- Store leftover egg roll filling in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or on a skillet over medium-high heat. While it’s reheating, add a little bit of broth, coconut aminos or water to bring the flavors back out.
How to freeze
- To freeze, store in an airtight, freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat
- Thaw frozen egg roll filling in the fridge overnight before reheating it, adding coconut aminos or water as necessary.
**1 Freestyle Smart Point (with ground turkey or chicken)